We are the American Federation of Musicians of the United States and Canada, professional musicians united through our Locals so that:
- We can live and work in dignity;
- Our work will be fulfilling and compensated fairly;
- We will have a meaningful voice in decisions that affect us;
- We will have the opportunity to develop our talents and skills;
- Our collective voice and power will be realized in a democratic and progressive union;
- We can oppose the forces of exploitation through our union solidarity.
To achieve these objectives, we must commit to:
- Treating each other with respect and dignity without regard to ethnicity, creed, sex, age, disability, citizenship, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, or national origin;
- Honoring the standards and expectations we collectively set for ourselves in pursuit of that vision, supporting and following the Bylaws that we adopt for ourselves;
- Actively participating in the democratic institutions of our union.
With that unity and resolve, we must engage in direct action that demonstrates our power and determination to:
- Organize unorganized musicians, extending to them the gains of unionism while securing control over our industry sectors and labor markets;
- Bargain contracts and otherwise exercise collective power to improve wages and working conditions, expand the role of musicians in work place decision-making, and build a stronger union;
- Build political power to ensure that musicians’ voices are heard at every level of government to create economic opportunity and foster social justice;
- Provide meaningful paths for member involvement and participation in strong, democratic unions;
- Develop highly trained and motivated leaders at every level of the union who reflect the membership in all its diversity;
- Build coalitions and act in solidarity with other organizations who share our concern for social and economic justice.